Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Not So City Design...

I work for a real estate company. Because of my role on the team, I see a lot of marketing materials, business cards, and websites of other realtors. There is  A LOT of room for improvement as far as the design of these materials is concerned. The people I work for actually have a pretty good understanding of how important "good design" is when building a branding yourself, which is nice, but they're one of the few.

For instance today, I was addressing envelopes to contacts my boss met in New Orleans, LA while at a conference last weekend. I was using the addresses on the business cards (all but one of these were designed poorly, the one nicely designed one was the only non-realtor) one of the business cards didn't have an address on it, so I went to the website listed on the card and it was just nasty. Did you notice the URL? Know Payne Know Gain...I laughed for a good 5 minutes at that! It makes sense when you read it because you see the spellings of the words, but can you imagine telling someone to go to knowpayneknowgain.com....you'd have to explain it every time.

The point is there is a lot of not so city design in the real estate world. If wasn't a conflict of interested and helping the competition, I'd be inclined focus a freelance career on helping real estate agents build their brands.

1 comment:

  1. wow, that website really makes me want to hire them... ha!

    ReplyDelete