Tuesday, June 22, 2010

NICE Assignment: Tell Me About Your Dad

Have I really gone a week without posting? I need to get better at this...Well it's Monday and that means Melissa at Operation NICE has posted a new NICE Assignment. If you've just started reading, I've promised myself to complete every NICE Assignment she posts on her blog. So far, I think I've only missed one, so I'm doing pretty good.

This week's NICE Assignment was to write about your dad, after all Father's Day was this past Sunday. Every girl thinks she has the best dad in the world, but they're wrong. He's all mine! I can't really put into words all of the reason why, but I've tried...

My dad rocks. I really could not have dreamed up a better father. I think it takes some people time, growth and maturing to realize what a great father (or mother) they had. But I've always known. From the time I was little, playing ghosty ghosty and tickle monster with him and my siblings to him walking me down the aisle on my wedding day, I have ALWAYS felt surrounded by his love.



He had such an active role in my life childhood into adulthood. A few examples, he was my O.M. coach, helped with 4-H, my "business partner" when I wanted to raise sheep and financial adviser through out college.


He's not a man of many words, but his words are always wise. He once told me, " No one deserves anything" and that's stuck with for life. It was a hard life lesson...to learn that anything worth having is something you've worked hard  for, not something handed to you.

Though it all seems trivial now, he was my rock and shoulder to cry on my senior of high school, when I went from freshman and JV MVP, to a varsity point guard with lot's of potential, to sitting on the bench my whole senior basketball season.

After devoting 23 years to raising 4 biological kids and providing them with love, support and every opportunity possible, my dad (and momma of course :) continue do  exactly what God put them on this Earth to do as foster parents to 3 young kids. And all though it's been tough at times, they continue to show them the same love and affection I remember getting and still get!

He was the number 1 man in my life for sooooo long! And he's still in a very close second (comes in right behind my hubs). Last time I went back to Lake O to visit, I had the opportunity to have some daddy/daughter time with him, and I found when he knew he wasn't #1 anymore...It was a cold winter night, I was driving my old dodge pick up from Big Rapids home to Lake O when it broke down (radiator gave out). I called my dad after I called my boyfriend (now my hubs). That was the defining moment, and I think my daddy is ok with coming in at a close 2nd these days. After all I can be a little needy...

Sorry, this was a little long winded. But like I said, my dad rocks.

1 comment:

  1. this gives me tears. we do have the best dad no doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete