Friday, May 28, 2010

I've Been Thinking...

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about starting to do some serious freelance work. It's a little scary for me actually. Not 100% sure how to go about it, and it will for sure put me out of my comfort zone. But in the end I think it will be worth it. My latest freelance project, was wedding stationery for our friends A&J. They're wedding is actually this weekend! I'll post all the pieces next week, so you can see what I've been up to.

Back to the freelance business; I think I'll start slow. The idea has been marinating the last week or so, but I'm still working out the details as far as pricing, meeting with clients, actually where to even find clients (Maybe start a Facebook group and see if I can get any leads from there)! If you or anyone you know needs a designer...I'm your girl!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jamie,
    While I was looking for a job out in Cali, I did a bunch of freelance work to make a little money during my search. Some advice for you:

    After you figure out your pricing and your process, write up a detailed contract, a project proposal sheet, and a personalized invoice. I learned this the hard way after getting burned by a client and I would hate to see it happen to you too. By getting the client so sign your contract and send it back to you, you will ensure that you get your money.

    Craigslist is an AWESOME tool for advertising yourself as well as finding people looking for designers. I got about 5 clients in one week and actually had to delete my posting so people would stop calling me! I posted my ad in the "creative services" category and I found a lot of people looking for clients in the "creative gigs" category towards the bottom.

    I did a lot of research to put together a good contract. I can send you mine if you want. Hope this helps! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete