Monday, December 13, 2010

Generally Speaking

Pumpkyns - Nine West
























Seriously, just purchases these about five minutes ago. Can't wait for them to arrive! After slipping, sliding and actually falling on my butt once, Tim and I both agreed I need some suitable winter boots. These fit all the criteria, rubber sole with grip, waterproof, and stylish.

This is way off topic, but I had an epiphany tonight...first here's the background story, so my epiphany will make sense to you.

Generally, anything having to with living "greener," Global Warming (I mean Climate Change) or obesity being a problem our government needs to solve, really annoys me. I never really knew why until tonight. It's not that I'm against taking better care of the Earth, in fact I think we should be good stewards of what God has given us. This was all top of mind tonight as I was cooking dinner, because of something I read on Facebook in response to this video.

And the reasons stuff like that video annoys me, hit me as I flipping the bacon (hahaha)...
  • I already don't and never have ate a lot of processed meats. Growing up and even now, because my mom gives it me, I have always ate beef, pork and chicken that was home grown, if not by our family then by someone we know.  In general I feel like I live a pretty "green" life without even trying
  • Often times (and maybe I'm being a little sensitive) I feel like farmers are made out to be villains, because they use pesticides or plant genetically modified crops. Just like everyone else in the world, they want their professions to advance and be competitive.
  • Personally, what I think the cause of these diseases are more than what we eat, is what we do. Kids are in-active and so are they're parents, they sit in front of the TV or computer and play video games, surf Facebook and watch YouTube videos, instead of being outside, having imaginary friends, playing the sandbox, pretending to be Pocahontas and that the pine tree is Grandmother Willow or racing their bikes as if they were horses...(I may or may not have done all that as a kid ;)
I guess I should conclude with—I am by NO MEANS that educated on this topic, I've read a few articles but that's about it. These are just my personal feelings which probably don't make a whole lotta sense to you. But I had to share because venting to my hubby just wasn't enough..

3 comments:

  1. Great post Jamie, I agree with most of this and I consider myself to know quite a bit about the obesity epidemic from school. Farmers have been impacted by the numerous "scientific" claims made over the past years. We've seen beef sales drop as people stop eating red meat, we've seen pork sales drop from concerns that the meat might give someone "swine flu" (could we please call it H1N1?), and milk sales plummet because people question its healthfulness and capacity to provide calcium and vitamin D. Many times if people appreciated all the details of these discoveries they would realize they are misinterpreting the results. Don't want to start a ruckus because I don't know who reads your page but I know you get it and its nice to hear I'm not the only person who thinks about the farmers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who studies climate change and who reads up heavily on obesity as it is related to culture and consumption (of both food and entertainment)in America I would like to add to your thoughts on this:

    It is important to think about the "average" childhood and lifestyle here in America... which likely cannot be defined as the one you (I'm speculating here) and I were most privileged to have had.

    We had parents who we able to be home with us, send us outside into our safe yards to run around, and feed us fresh foods -- many times from gardens and farms close to our own homes and grown by people we knew. In other parts of America it isn't safe for children to go outside unsupervised, parents are working two jobs, and the food that is affordable or quickest to prepare is processed and ready-made. This is where the obesity epidemic hits the hardest... not to mention that school food (where these same underprivileged children often times receive free-lunch) has recently been found to not be of adequate nutrition and a contributor to childhood obesity.

    It isn't/shouldn't be the farmer's that are the "villains" here... but they do get a bad rap. I'd argue that it is the farming standards here in America by which the farmer's must abide in order to be (as you said) competitive and advanced. In other parts of the world, Europe as an example, foods that contain GMO's or animal products that contain hormones or antibiotics need to be labeled as such... which in return reduces these and other farming practices.

    I could go on for days (but will spare you) about the magnitude and (I think) vital importance of both of these topics, but I think I might have overstayed my welcome already.

    I was in no way trying to be offensive, and I am sorry if you have taken offense, but I believe in the importance of understanding alternate angles and views. I appreciated hearing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not offended...I hope you weren't offended by my post (considering the video came from your page). You're welcome to comment however you'd like, I like hearing all sides and debating :)

    This post was just my personal and very surface level response. Of course I understand not everyone has had the same up bringing as me and that mine was not the "average" childhood. And I too could go on about other reasons for why I feel the way I do, but let's be honest my blog isn't very "deep" so I don't think it's the right place for it.

    Thanks for your comment though, I had been waiting for it ;)

    ReplyDelete