Thursday, March 18, 2010

NICE Assignment: Write a Living Eulogy

Melissa of Operation NICE has wrote another NICE Assignment; write a living eulogy. Her inspiration came from someone she follows on Twitter (click the link to see my tweets) I've included it below.

"I was poking around Twitter last night before bed, and I came across a tweet from one of my favorite tweeps, Diana of our.city.lights. that said, "People always say the greatest things about you at a funeral. Why can't life be celebrated everyday like this?" So true!"

So who I am going to Eulogize? My Grandma Marie.

**disclaimer, what I write may not be very cohesive and thoughts may not be organized, normally this is the kind of thing I would write a couple times and edit lot's, but not tonight.**


My Grandma Marie (the cute little white haired lady) is one of the most generous and loving people I know. Some of my most favorite childhood memories are from times spent at my Grandparent's with my sisters and cousin. Playing Avon lady, bank, and house. Grandma and Grandpa would always let us stay up late and have popcorn parties and drink pop from the slushie cups.

As I grew older and got busy with friends, school and sports, I spent less and less time at my Grandma's house. But developed so much respect for her. Again and again, I watched my Grandma open her arms, show love and forgive those her hurt her and her family. Her whole life she had worked hard and my dad has told me stories of how she would wake up at 5am and go milk the cows before cooking a huge breakfast for the entire family. She still cooks breakfast for who ever is at her house on Saturday mornings. She really is a super woman.

For growing up in rural Michigan and being a farmer's wife, she is one of the most cultured women I know. She plays multiple instruments, has traveled the world, and has always encouraged me to take advantage of opportunities that would allow me to do so, like the study abroad trip I took to Greece and Italy. 

Last summer Tim and I were married in their back yard. My Grandma was generous to let us invade her home for the weekend and didn't make too big a fuss when my hub's best man took her favorite cooler for beer on the party bus (come to think of it, almost a year later I don't know if he ever returned it). She even made sure to plant flowers in her BEAUTIFUL flower gardens that matched the wedding colors. 



My Grandma Marie is truly a wonderful lady. I really don't think I've done her justice.

1 comment:

  1. this made me teary eyed and i don't even know her! beautiful =)

    ReplyDelete