Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Easter!

For the second year in a row, Timmy and I will be spending Easter away from our families. It makes me a little sad, especially since my family has a great Easter tradition, that I'm bummed to be missing out on. But I'm a little excited this year, because Tim and I have our own church to go to this year and I have a really yummy brunch planned. Well, I should say half planned, the menu isn't totally set yet.

"Jesus is the reason for the season" is a saying you often hear at Christmas. What I can't figure out is why you don't hear around Easter. He's the reason for this season too. That's one thing my parents always made sure we understood once we were old enough. Yes, we still got to color eggs and find baskets in the morning.

Coloring eggs when like this at our house. Mom bought everyone there own dozen of eggs, the dye and covered the bar in the kitchen with newspaper. All four us would climb up on the bar stools and wait for the eggs, that dad was holding hostage. To get an egg to color we had to either answer a trivia question about the Easter story, like "which disciple denied Jesus 3 times" or "who was released in place of Jesus" (questions got harder the older you got) or sing the chorus of the old hymn "Up From the Grave He Arose". If you answered correctly or sang the loudest, you got one of your eggs. It's still one of my favorite traditions/memories from my childhood. And was/is such a wonderful way to remember what Easter is really about. Christ on the cross, shedding his blood to cover our sins.

2 comments:

  1. That's such a cute tradition! My family has never had traditions, reading about yours makes me wish that we had. One day, I am going to make sure that my kids have traditions to look back on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I didn't read your whole post but I did see that you wrote Up from the Grave He Arose, which is my favorite him and I was devastated that we didn't sing it in church this year! :( I hope you are feeling great, love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete