Friday, April 23, 2010

NICE Assignment: Pick 5 For the Environment

This week's NICE Assignment from Melissa of Operation NICE, is to Pick 5 for the Environment, in honor of Earth Week.

Yesterday was Earth Day, did you do anything special? I didn't...but I like to think that I live a pretty "Earth friendly" life without even trying. For example, I take public transportation everyday, don't leave extra lights on, I use a water bottle instead of cups, I use scrap paper for my to-do lists and then recycle it afterward, and I eat meat that was raised on the family farm or purchased at a 4-H fair. But, there is always room for improvement.

Anyway, on to my Pick 5, which is a campaign the EPA is sponsoring to celebrate Earth Day/Week. They have lot's of ideas and tips for saving the Earth and ask that you pledge to do five of them. I've picked my five, what will your be?

  • Reduce: Cut back on the amount of 'stuff' that could later end up as waste. 
  • Dispose of solid and liquid wastes and medications safely
  • Use only the water you need, and reuse when possible (I tend to leave the water running while brushing my teeth and while doing the dishes, I pledge to stop doing this)
  • Save Energy at home (our apartment gets pretty warm, we've been leaving the ceiling fan all day, I'm going turn it off and open a couple extra windows)
  • Reuse: Upcycle! Take something that is disposable and transform it into something (My BFF was telling about a co-worker who makes lamps out of styrofoam cups, I probably won't do something so involved, but I'll think of something!)

No comments:

Post a Comment