Friday, April 2, 2010

First Kiss

I have an idea for turning one of my old projects, from an image making class I took in college, into a book. I think it would make a pretty cool book and has the potential to have some really neat imagery. The initial project was a mini accordion booklet that had images and stories of people's first kisses. That's one of the original images below—a xerox transfer, scanned in a given color in Photoshop.



The complete idea for the book is still formulating (I just thought of this today, while avoiding my actual work) but the basic idea is exploring people's first kisses...in the movies and on TV first kisses are often romanticized and stereotypical ideas of what a first kiss should be like. When in real life, they're usually awkward, funny, embarrassing, or well I guess they can be romantic in real life too. 

Step one: collect lot's of stories about first kisses, the stories could be about the person's first kiss ever, their first kiss with a certain person, their first kiss as a wife or husband, as long as it's a "first kiss" of some sort, the story could be used.

Step two: sort through the stories and decide on which ones I'll use in the book. Also decide on what the image should be of i.e. a couch, door stoop, car, garden, church, etc

Step three: experiment with imagery, layouts and binding techniques, I've got some ideas, but not sure what I'll actually end up doing. This step can be happening through out steps two and three

Step four: create final images

Step five: put it all together

Mostly I'm going to create this book, to keep myself doing something creative, since my current job requires very little creativity. Additionally, it will add some pizazz to my portfolio and show that I can take initiative and create without being told too. It would be like a dream come true that it would like take off and become something cool that could get published and people would actually buy it, but I think that's just a dream...

Feel free to leave a first kiss story in the comments—but know that if you do, you're giving my the right to use it in my book :)

1 comment:

  1. awwww J, great idea! i love it. i got a REAL cheesy one for ya if you need more ideas.

    ReplyDelete