Tuesday, May 17, 2011

25 Before Twenty-Five Update

My momma brought to my attention over the weekend, that I haven't blogged about my 25 Before Twenty-Five list in awhile. So, I thought I'd give you and update.

The week before Easter I crossed off #13: Give food to a homeless person on the street. I didn't write a separate post about it, because it wasn't something I really planned. Tim and I had volunteered to help pass out granola bars attached to a card inviting people to our church. And even though he came to me, instead of me giving him food while he was sitting on the street, I still counted it.

I'm also one fifth of the way to crossing off #25: Read 10 books off of Time's All Time 100 Novels. I've now read Catch-22 which I talked about here and on my way home from work today, I finished Atonement.




















"A magnificent deception. Briony Tallis, the intricate English girl at the center of Atonement, is a budding writer. At the age of 13 she believes that through her powers of invention and language, "an unruly world could be made just so." In a complicated way, she turns out to be right, but only after she turns out to be catastrophically wrong. In the first half of the book, she passionately misunderstands a series of events she witnesses on a summer day in 1935, which leads her to formulate a lie that ruins the lives of her older sister Cecilia and Cecilia's lover Robbie. So much for the virtues of the imagination. But McEwan is crafty. Even as he shows us the deadly force of storytelling, he demonstrates its beguilements on every page. Then he leads us to a surprise ending in which the power of fiction, which has been used to undo lives, is used again to make heartbroken amends."
You've probably seen or at least heard of the movie starring Keira Knightly, but like usual the book was so so so so much better! If you like reading love stories, period pieces or just magnificent fiction writing in general, you should read this book and soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment