Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving

"I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to his tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union."
- Abraham Lincoln
In 1863 in hopes to unite the states, President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed Thanksgiving a national holiday to be observed on the last Thursday of November. A day to give thanks and praise to God for all that he had provided.

The past few months, I have been trying to be more thankful day to day. I start my prayer time with prayers of thanksgiving and praise, before moving on to my concerns, needs and wants. It's cool how that can transform how you view everyday life. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I want to share with you some of those things.
  • My Timmy! I'm thankful that I get to experience life's adventures with him by my side. I could go on and on, but I don't want to get all mushy. Just know he rocks!
  • Our Love Bean! I'm thankful for how she has changed my life. It's not really a secret that I didn't think I was ready to be a mom and that I was worried about accepting the lifestyle changes having a baby would bring. But these last 2 months have been bliss, and I already can't imagine life without her! I think Tim and I were on our way to be becoming very selfish people, I think she came at the perfect time in our lives. I'm thankful the Big Guy upstairs has better timing than we do.
  • I'm thankful for our families, who are so supportive. 
  • I'm thankful that we have the means to visit said families. With gas prices, not everyone could afford to make multiple 400 mile, 8 hour road trips in a month. (round trip)
  • I'm thankful the nurses and doctors God has put in my sister's and nephew Gatlyn's life. Without them he may not have even survived being born 12 weeks early. 
  • I'm thankful for the fighting spirit Gatlyn has
  • I thankful we have a roof over our heads and food in our bellies. 
  • I'm thankful that my biggest worry right now is, how are we going to rework our schedule, budget and daycare so that I can accept an awesome internship opportunity.
  • I'm thankful Tim and I found South Loop Church a year ago
What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?

No comments:

Post a Comment