Monday, November 28, 2011

Closet Overhaul: Part 2

I decided it was time for a closet overhaul. So, I'm following Kendi Everyday's guide to creating a working closet. I've wrote about Step One: Purge. Next it was time to assess what I have, don't have, need and want.

Step Two: ASSESS
The first stage was to take inventory of what I already have. I did this mentally, because in reality, I do have a lot of clothes. But you could literally write everything down, if that's your style. Doing this actually reminded me that I actually have like 5 blazers (something that was originally on my needs list) I'm just not in love with how they fit. So, I'm planning on taking one or two of them to a tailor and having them altered.

Then Kendi suggests making closet needs list. It's important to keep in mind these are suppose to be pieces that are considered staples in every woman's closet. NOT what you want to add to your wardrobe, that part's next. To help guide me in creating my needs list, I used Tim Gunn's list of 10 Essentials. His list includes; a blazer, classic white shirt, trench coast, a sweater, skirt, day dress, jeans, dress pants, basic black dress, and a sweat suite alternative. I did a little online browsing and found the pieces I'd like to complete my 10, well 9, since I didn't pick out a sweat suite.
I actually made this graphic before I took inventory of what I already have, so technically I could remove the blazer (1), skirt (5) and day dress (6) because I have those.
  1. Blazer - From Forever 21. I like the length, color and cuffs. I already a couple blazers that I'm planning on having altered. Once that's done I can check it off my needs list.
  2. Classic White Shirt - From Gap. I can't believe I don't already own a white button down like this one! They pair perfectly with a cardi and tall boots, which it pretty much what I live in during the fall and winter.
  3. Trench Coat -  This one is from Sears. I love the dark khaki color and the length. Long enough to cover a long cardi, but not past the knee. I've been needing one of these for a long while. I don't have a good coat for semi warm weather. You know when you're sweating in your winter coat, but a light jacket isn't enough.
  4. Sweater - I read in another place that Tim Gunn says it should be a cashmere sweater, so I went with that. I picked this cute pink henley from J. Crew. 
  5. Skirt - I have a few skirts, but I love the abstract pattern and paperbag waist of this one from Forever 21.
  6. Day Dress - Seriously, I want like every dress from Urban Outfitters. But I have a couple day dresses, so this one will be added to my want list
  7. Jeans - I have two pairs of jeans, skinnies and flared. Neither really fit me perfectly. I need to add a pair that fit right. I used to have a pair of Real Straight Jeans from Gap, but they wore out. I LOVED them and need to get another pair. 
  8. Dress Pants - I haven't wore dress pants in 2 years, but if Tim Gunn says I need them in my closet, by golly I'll pick out a pair. I went with the Salt and Pepper Columnist Pant from Express. 
  9. Basic Black Dress - Note this says, basic black dress, not little black dress. I'm in love with this Ann Taylor sheath dress. And can definitely see myself wearing it to the office or even on date night. 
After your needs list, you're suppose to make a wants list, that is very specific. Much like the needs list I made. I'm working on that list, so stayed tuned for my wants in part 3 of my closet overhaul.

No comments:

Post a Comment